We are so grateful for each individual that volunteers at The Magdalen House! Without active, dedicated volunteers our agency could not keep our doors open for the next alcoholic woman who is desperately seeking help.
Maggie’s has a wide array of volunteer opportunities that span from working directly with women in our Social Detox Program as sponsors, to providing administrative support to staff and so much more. Whether you’re a woman in recovery looking to help other alcoholic women, or an individual looking to give back to your community, we’d LOVE to have your help.
In 2018 alone, volunteers helped add over $309,266.94 to our bottom line with their generosity and service to others. Incredible! Thank you, volunteers.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Find details about each volunteer opportunity below, including:
- Trader Joe’s Grocery Distribution
- Overnights in Social Detox
- Front Desk
- Yoga Instructors
- Around the House
- Meeting Chair
Trader Joe’s Grocery Distribution
Every Sunday, we receive a Trader Joe’s grocery donation that we need help picking up from our local Trader Joe’s, sorting for the house needs, and facilitating the distribution of extras to our community.
- Day: Sunday
- Time: 9:00am – 12:30pm
- Requirements: One-month commitment; capable of light lifting (10 pounds)
Overnights in Social Detox
Every night, a volunteer stays overnight and is responsible for supervising Social Detox clients, leading evening and morning meditation, and answering any phone calls. (This is a great volunteer opportunity for alumnae!)
- Day: Daily
- Time: 5:00pm – 9:00am
- Requirements: Six months sobriety; in recovery (through the 12 steps); complete an overnight training
As needed, Social Detox clients require a volunteer to transport them to hospitals and housing interviews on an on-call basis.
- When: On-Call
- Time: Varies
- Requirements: Valid driver’s license and insurance
Twice a week, meals are donated to Social Detox clients in The House.
- Day & Time: Wednesdays 5:00pm-5:30pm, Saturday 11:00am- 11:30am
- Requirements: feed 20 people; ready to serve upon drop-off
During the day, a volunteer greets and signs-in all visitors to The Magdalen House.
- When: Daily
- Time: 9:00am – 1:00pm; 1:00pm – 5:00pm; 5:00pm – 9:00pm
- Requirements: very brief training before first shift; beginner computer skills
Every Saturday, a Yoga Instructor from the community leads a beginner level yoga class that focuses on light stretching and mindful breathing for our Social Detox clients and alumnae.
- Day: Saturday
- Time: 10:00am
- Requirements: Certified Yoga Instructor (or working towards certification); speaker/portable sound system and music
Around the House
There is always something to do at The Magdalen House! Volunteers from the community help us keep our house running by doing general volunteer tasks around the house where needed.
- Day: Monday – Friday
- Time: anytime between 9:00am and 5:00pm
- What: Housekeeping, organization, gardening, administrative tasks, and more.
Every day, recovered women from the community lead educational classes for our Social Detox clients on the spiritual solution to alcoholism found in the “Big Book” of Alcoholics Anonymous. All meetings are open to women and a few meetings are open to both men and women (see meeting schedule).
- Day: Daily
- Time: Varies
- What: Currently only on-call, back-up meeting chairs are needed
- Requirements: Six months sobriety; has completed the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous; is available for sponsorship; has knowledge of the Big Book
Almost daily, we have alcoholic women – whether they are Social Detox clients or visitors to our Peer Recovery Program – who are seeking a sponsor. We always need recovered alcoholic women available for sponsorship to attend meetings and connect with these women.
- See our meeting schedule and join us for a meeting
- Social Detox clients are encouraged to find a sponsor and start working on the 12-Steps during their stay.
- Social Detox clients are allowed to meet with a sponsor during their stay.
In an effort to make the women in our house feel comfortable and safe, all current volunteer opportunities are only open to women. We appreciate your understanding.