Please join us in celebrating Astrid Writer, Operations Coordinator of The Magdalen House team! Astrid has been a staff member since 2021 and helps make sure things are always running smoothly at the house so that we can continue to help alcoholic women and their families in recovery.
1. What do you do at The Magdalen House, and what does a “typical” day look like for you?
I work in Operations and my job comes with various responsibilities. Some of these are assisting with bookkeeping activities, taking minutes at board meetings, providing support for onboarding of new employees, serving as the point person for ordering, managing and inventorying of office supplies, making sure equipment in the house is working and coordinating repairs if necessary.
2. What is your favorite line in the Big Book and why? OR What is your favorite quote and why?
My favorite quote is “I can do hard things.”
3. What’s something you’ve witnessed at The Magdalen House that inspires or moves you?
The clients inspire me every day. I see firsthand they are working so hard to reach sobriety and by working hard and sticking to the program they will be successful. This inspires me to work hard and do great things.
4. How has working at The Magdalen House impacted your life?
I have realized that my life has become richer because of serving others. Even though I do not work with the clients directly, I feel that what I am doing is making a difference in their lives and therefore also in my own life.
5. What are some of your hobbies, or things that you enjoy doing when you’re not working?
I love walking my dogs, traveling, being outside in nature and spending time with friends and family.
6. What’s something that we may not know about you?
Something you may not know about me is that I collect Christmas ornaments from all the places I visit during travels.
About Astrid Writer
Astrid grew up in The Netherlands and moved to the United States in 1997. Over the last 18 years, Astrid has dedicated her time to motherhood for her two children. During this time, she regularly volunteered at multiple charitable organizations, including National Charity League and her children’s schools. Astrid is passionate about The Magdalen House mission and its commitment to helping alcoholic women and their families find freedom and hope in recovery.